Monday, March 30, 2009

first canadian visitors...

Mike and I were honoured to have our first canadian visitors over to our new home a couple of weeks ago. My Mom, Dad and sister made the 15 hour journey to the desert to spend some quality Doha-time together! They were total troopers making the long trip over (especially my Mom who is not a fan of flying!). We loved having them here!! We hope we were good tour guides even though this thing called 'work' kinda got in the way most days.
I sent them a small questionnaire about their time here in Doha. What better way for them to share their experience with everyone...besides cutting and pasting sure is an easy job for me ;) Hope you enjoy & check out the pictures...

Q - What was your first impression of Doha?

Mel - Well, we arrived at night so there was little to see as we flew in although I did see lots of red brake lights through the airplane window…I figured that was the traffic I had heard so much about. At the airport I saw my first glimpse of a woman in an abaya and I have to say it unnerved me. I also saw the men in their dish dashes and I had the opposite reaction…I liked the look!

Mams -
I thought Doha was very clean and modern- at least in the West Bay area where Kris and Mike live. I was excited to be there and experience the culture. When we arrived - early evening it was busy. Traffic, families enjoying the corniche- lots of energy everywhere. Entering the airport from the plane was unforgettable- a blur of black and white. The nationals in their cultural dress- quite a sight. I kept thinking we will see Kris and Mike as soon as we go through the doors!!! As Kris about the bath-room experience!!!! The older parts of the city were quite different.

Dad - One big 24-hour-a-day construction zone, cranes everywhere, but the buildings had a very unique style about them. Nothing was being done in half -measure, and this demonstrates the amazing wealth within the country. The Pearl is a classic example of their vision for the future without oil and gas.

Q - I heard you experienced a lot of 'firsts' in Doha - smoking shisha, sand duning, a ride in a dhow....What were the highlights of the trip?

Mel -
Lots of highlights of the trip…first one of course, seeing Kris and Mike in the environment they’re living in right now. I like being able to picture them doing their everyday living and knowing what it looks like. I really enjoyed going to the souq…to me that was a real cultural experience. Mams said it best…being there captured all of your senses…especially when we heard the call to prayer as we were eating our dinner on the balcony and smoking the shisha! I can’t forget my thai massage either…lol Let’s just say I had a “full body” experience!

Mams -
I loved going to the souq. We went twice. I could of just sat and watched but I was told NOT to stare. It was an experience that fed all my senses- smell, sight, sound, taste. It was true arabic culture . As we sat having our supper on a balcony over looking the patios and hearing the CALL TO PRAYER - I couldn't believe we were there.
I also loved going into the desert----- as for the "duning"- I will never forget it either although my comments at the time indicated otherwise. Right Mike!! By the way we got a picture of the last dune/mountain.
Best of all was being with Kris and Mike - seeing their home, where they are living and how their days evolve.

Dad - the most important thing for me was to see Kris and Mike, to see how they lived, where they worked, how they spent their free time, and to learn about the culture of the country. Really liked the duning. The souq was very enjoyable, even though I normally do not like to walk around shopping - won't make me change my mind now that I am back home in Canada!

Q - How is Doha different/similar from Canada?

Mel -
I’ll start with the similarities first…the malls. Shopping for clothes and food was pretty much the same. Different stores but similar styles and products. Starbucks, Pizza Hut, Applebee’s…Spending time with family…parks and green space packed with kids and their parents on the weekends. The importance of physical fitness…gyms in the condos, people running on the Corniche. A healthy lifestyle was recognized there as well. On the Friday night when we went to the souq I saw the young people out. They were in groups sitting at tables sipping coffees (not beer) and smoking shisha but they were socializing much like we would here at home.
Now the differences…most obvious one…how the men and women dress. As I said previously, it unnerved me when I first saw a woman in an abaya but by the end of the week I didn’t glance twice at one. It’s amazing how used to it I got. It was a little frustrating having to cover my shoulders and knees when going out. It would have been nice to wear shorts and a tank top when the temperature was 33*C. I also said that I didn’t mind seeing the men in their dishdashes. I think it had a lot to do with how they carried themselves when they wore them. I’m a sucker for a confident/cocky man…lol.

Another difference was the road works. Some of the streets had huge trenches dug out of them and pedestrians were still permitted to walk down them. Here at home, the roads would be closed not only to people but also to cars. Very unsafe!

Also, when making purchases at places other than commercial shops, you could barter over the cost of items with the owners.

The public washrooms were another big difference…just ask Mams. She had a fascination with the ‘holes’ in the floor for the women to use. The stalls were also equipped with hoses so the men and women could cleanse themselves before prayer. It wasn’t unusual for me to go into a stall and find water all over the seat and floor left from the previous occupant.

Mams - Where Kris and Mike live you could be anywhere in a modern city however, the middle east culture filtrates through in daily life. The temperature was 30 however, it was not as warm as it would of been in Canada- the sun shone every-day we were there. There were very few trees- the ones planted were palm trees. We only heard birds when we were on the beach at the Four Seasons Hotel.The people were friendly. The shopping was similar to Canada- the name brand stores and the malls were extravagant. There is so much money in the country everything is done "over the top". The Emir looks after his people-- I was very impressed with this. The people are very family orientated- you would see families out together late into the evening enjoying the cool night air. As in Canada we had our Starbucks every day. You had to be very organized with shopping and stocking up. There was a coffee shortage and we had to wait for the next shipment. That would never happen in Canada. Also the fresh veggies were not as available, ie lettuce and the selection was not as it is in Canada. Remember they have to import everything. I was only afraid of the drivers- THEY WERE AWFUL and RECKLESS.

Dad - In many respects Doha is like a lot of other cities I have been in, just a little warmer and a little more sand - lots of people, traffic, high rise buildings. What I missed most was greenery - trees and grass. Even when you travel out from where Kris and Mike live, the terrain is the same. The country is quite westernized. Yes you see lots of Qataris in their dress but you also see many people dressed just like they would be in Canada (in the summer months, of course) but almost no shorts and few bare arms.

Q - Did it feel like you were visiting the Middle East? Were the stereotypes of the Middle East communicated back in North America prevalent in Doha?

Mel -
No it really didn’t feel like I was visiting the Middle East. I mean other than how the people dressed and the call to prayer I could have been somewhere else. The people were friendly and helpful. I didn’t see any of the stereotypes communicated while I was there. I was more intrigued by their culture and wanting to ask women how they felt about wearing an abaya.

Mams - I felt like I was visiting the middle east!!!! I have made a photo album and take every opportunity to explain and educate family and friends as to what it is like . I think we do stereotype - yes there are compounds: yes the women wear abayas but are very trendy and enjoy shopping for stylish clothes.The country is growing and the Emir and her Royal Highness are trying to educate and modernize their country while maintaining their cultural heritage. I enjoyed the experience immensely and thank Kris and Mike for having us.

Dad - I thought I would see a stronger Middle East culture and while you knew you were in a Muslim country, it was not overpowering. Kris had explained some of the things we should not do in public, not an onerous task at all. In the malls, same stores as we have here. Even had our daily Starbucks, just like Whitby and London when we're there. Still don't frequent McDonalds.

Q - Would you visit again?

Mel -
I would love to visit Kris and Mike again. It would probably have to be next March Break because I don’t think I could survive the heat of the summer and they come home at Christmas.

Mams -
I would visit again but it is a very, very, very long way to go.

Dad -
Absolutely! There are still lots of things to see and do.














3 comments:

Brian said...

hahahahaha...love the interview.
kind of like the last one you did with Mike about hockey.

ps - white font is easier to read.

Krista and Mike said...

I know, I agree white font is better but I had some formatting problems from cutting and pasting from Word. White font will be back with the next blog ;)

Maureen & Dalton said...

Thanks for the insight Kris (and the Riddells). The photo album your Mom made was great too!!!

Lots of hugs,
Maureen & Dalton

p.s.if you use your mouse and highlight the black print it's easy to read !!!